Clip Card Reader
Clip Card Reader
This is powerful example of how industrial design embodies and shapes a brand. The product truly is the icon, helping drive brand awareness and reinforce the platform from witch both packaging, Logo, and UX are inspired. In addition, unlike some of it’s more ‘simple’ competitors, this product facilitates both swipe and dip transactions while keeping the interface simple and intuitive. The product promises to work for a wide variety of smart devices and is not only intended for one model through its flexible clip badge.
Clip Card Reader
The Clip card reader is a new mobile payment device that allows both swipe and dip transactions. The Clip brand and reader were designed in tandem for emerging markets unfamiliar with mobile payment services. First launched in Mexico, Clip’s bold, bright design serves as a charismatic ambassador to the world of mobile payment. The iconic badge design of the logo is utilized across all Clip products, from the app to the reader, and also serves a functional purpose as its fins stabilize the reader and prevent it from spinning on mobile devices of a variety of sizes and thicknesses.2. The Brief: Summarize the problem you set out to solve. What was the context for the project, and what was the challenge posed to you?
- Credit cards are not widely used or accepted in Mexico and emerging markets due to:
--- A distrustful customer base faced with rampant credit card cloning and malfunctioning terminals.
---A merchant base that prefers to work with cash due to traditional credit card readers being controlled by banks with high fees, a high cost for terminals, and a labyrinthine application process.
- Any new product launching in the financial services space has to be one that people can immediately trust as secure and safe.
- The target market is unfamiliar with the technology and practices behind mobile payment devices.
- Fragmented market requires ability to accept both swipe and dip credit cards.
- While the brand and device must resonate with the Mexican audience, it must retain the capacity to move into other markets in the future.
The client approached us specifically to bring a “Silicon Valley” perspective to the project. As the financial services industry in Mexico is deeply distrusted and seen as overlarge and controlling, the client wanted to ensure they would be offering a brand and product that projected a feeling of security and authority, while also remaining approachable and friendly.
We set out to create a product and brand that would have an immediate positive impact. We wanted to create a mobile credit card reader that looked unlike any of the other offerings available in the market, with a brand that projected the kind of buoyancy and delight missing in the financial industry space.
Key for us was being able to create an integrated brand and product design. We understood that a cohesive offering would be much stronger than two disparate but related designs.
- From the beginning of the design process we focused on the users - both the merchants and the consumers. We immersed ourselves in user interviews, case studies of competing brands, and cultural ethnography.
- Color was key to the design so we considered the palette in conjunction with the creation of the logo shape. Once the logo design had been settled on and applied to the reader, we had a number of models created in different color options to see which would stand out and inspire the sense of optimism we were shooting for.
- In order to ensure flexibility and strength of fins we tested different thicknesses of polycarbonate. We settled on the final formula for its ideal performance and durability, and its ability to keep its shape after repeated bendings. The thermoplastic polyurethane tips on the edge of the fins were selected because of their ability to grip and protect.
- An indicator light was determined to be essential in order to provide users with the peace of mind that transactions were successfully processed and that they would not be double charged.
- Clip offers an integrated and distinct brand icon across product, web, app, and all collateral.
- Ownable color and shape creates an attention-getting visual language to highlight the product’s entrance into an emerging market.
- Intelligent, balanced design allows for both swipe and dip credit cards to be used.
- An indicator light provides feedback when a swipe or dip transaction is successful (green) or fails (red).
- Clip logo shape recalls a badge which aligns with “Join the Payment Revolution” marketing strategy.
- Clip badge shape holds the reader stable on smartphones and tablets with varying thicknesses up to 18mm. Badge fins prevent the device from spinning when swiped.
- Iconic badge logo can be adapted to web, UI, and collateral such as window stickers.
- Durable polycarbonate stands up to a beating.
- As one of the few mobile payment services to offer installments, Clip is able to tap into a familiar way of purchasing in Mexico, creating an even more accessible experience for its users.
- A proprietary verification system known as ClipLock sends a dynamic verification code to the consumer's mobile device at the time of the attempted transaction. The consumer then receives the code and enters it on the Clip-enabled device for one-time, secure processing.
- Transparent and simple pricing at 3.6% per transaction, no monthly fees for the reader, and no minimum transaction fees.